Canoe and Clean - Ping Tom Memorial Park
The Chicago River system is one of the most spectacular natural treasures in the Chicagoland region. Sadly, it remains a victim of pollution and garbage dumping. Litter is not just an eye-sore, it endangers the health of people and wildlife.
Take action to tackle the problem by collecting litter floating in the river and trapped on the riverbanks on our unique Canoe and Clean trips. Along the way, you'll learn why it is an essential natural resource for people, plants and animals.
Trips are three hours long, rain or shine! Friends’ canoe guides will help you safely load in and out of the boats, offer paddling instruction and answer questions. We provide boats, bags, gloves, grabbers, paddles, life jackets, and canoe guides for this unforgettable experience. Bring personal items like sunscreen, sunglasses, water, cameras, etc. Our recommended age for paddlers is 10 years and older.
There are additional safety precautions in place due to COVID-19. Boating is a great activity that allows for social distancing, but we want to take every precaution possible. Therefore:
- We will be offering this opportunity by boat instead of by seat, to ensure participants already know their boating partner.
- You MUST register, no walk ups are allowed.
- Masks are required while on the dock.
- Social distancing is required while on the dock.
- Bathrooms are not available. Please plan and time your visit accordingly.